Re: \timing interval - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Corey Huinker
Subject Re: \timing interval
Date
Re: \timing interval  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Gerdan Santos <gerdan@gmail.com> wrote:
make installcheck-world:  tested, passed
Implements feature:       tested, passed
Spec compliant:           tested, passed
Documentation:            tested, passed

Sorry, my mistake!

I could not find a way to disable this functionality , I see that the impact can be big as it is changed the output structure \timing without a mode to disable it. I even finding great functionality but need a way to set to default.

Thanks for reviewing! I'm not really sure how to proceed, so I'll try to summarize where it stands. Apologies if I mischaracterize/misattribute/misremember someone's position.

Generally speaking, people disliked the third mode for \timing, and were generally fine with AndrewG's idea of printing the timing in both raw milliseconds and a more human-digestible format, which means that we can:

1. keep the format exactly as is, ignoring locale issues
     + It's already done
     + lightweight
     +TomL believes there will be no confusion
     - others disagree
2. we fish out the proper locale-specific abbreviations for days/hours/minutes/seconds
     + no additional settings
     + locale stuff can't be that hard
     - I've never dealt with it (American, surprise)
3. ignore locales and fall back to a left-trimmed DDD HH:MM:SS.mmm format
     + Easy to revert to that code
     + My original format and one PeterE advocated
     - others disliked
4. we have a \pset that sets fixed scale (seconds, minutes, hours, days), sliding scale (what's displayed now), or interval
     + some flexibility with some easy config values
     - still have the locale issue
     -  likely will miss a format somebody wanted
4. The \pset option is a time format string like "%d %h:%m:%s".
     + maximum flexibility
     + sidesteps the locale issue by putting it in the user's hands
     - those format strings are sometimes tough for users to grok
     - ISO 8601 isn't much of a help as it doesn't handle milliseconds
     - additional config variable
     - documentation changes
     - debate about what the default should be. GOTO 1.

I personally would be happy with any of these options, so I think we get some more feedback to see if a consensus emerges. It's a tiny patch and trivial to test, so we have time(ing) on our side.