Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Corey Huinker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 2:56 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

Hello Pavel,

I think so some local expression evaluation could be - but it should not be
placed in \if statement

Why?

\expr issupported :VERSION_NUM >= 10000

Hmmm. Although I do not buy this, it could work as a replacement for \set which it seems cannot be upgraded because some people may rely on it to just store whatever comes after it in a variable.

I have no strong opinion on how expressive expressions should be, but having a separate \expr (or \setexpr, etc) gives us a green field to develop them.