Re: Add SHELL_EXIT_CODE to psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Corey Huinker
Subject Re: Add SHELL_EXIT_CODE to psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 2:53 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 1:59 PM Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:
> SHELL_ERROR is helpful in that it is a ready-made boolean that works for \if tests in the same way that ERROR is set to true any time SQLSTATE is nonzero. We don't yet have inline expressions for \if so the ready-made boolean is a convenience.

Oh, that seems a bit sad, but I guess it makes sense.

I agree, but there hasn't been much appetite for deciding what expressions would look like, or how we'd implement it. My instinct would be to not create our own expression engine, but instead integrate one that is already available. For my needs, the Unix `expr` command would be ideal (compares numbers and strings, can do regexes, can do complex expressions), but it's not cross platform.