Re: Partitioning WIP patch (was: Partitioning: issues/ideas) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Corey Huinker
Subject Re: Partitioning WIP patch (was: Partitioning: issues/ideas)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I think it's confusing to use BETWEEN to mean [low,high) when it already means [low,high] in WHERE clauses.

Why not leverage range notation instead?

CREATE TABLE parent_monthly_xxxxx_201401 PARTITION OF
parent_monthly_xxxxx FOR VALUES IN RANGE '[2014-04-01,2014-05-01)'

"IN RANGE" could easily be "WITHIN RANGE" or "WITHIN" or something else.

Clearly, this example above assumes that the partitioning is on a single column.

For partitioning on a set of columns you're essentially creating a custom composite type with major-minor collation, could that custom type be created at table creation time? Could an existing composite type be declared as the partition key?

CREATE TYPE year_month( year int, month int );

(CREATE OPERATOR... for < = > )

CREATE TABLE parent_monthly(year int, month int, day int) PARTITION BY RANGE ON year_month(year, month);

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 5:53 AM, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
On 24-02-2015 PM 05:13, Amit Langote wrote:
> Additionally, a partition can itself be further partitioned (though I
> have not worked on the implementation details of multilevel partitioning
> yet):
>
> CREATE TABLE table_name PARTITION OF parent_name PARTITION BY
> {RANGE|LIST} ON(key_columns) FOR VALUES values_clause;

One more blunder, supposed to be:

CREATE TABLE table_name PARTITION OF parent_name FOR VALUES
values_clause PARTITION BY {RANGE|LIST} ON(key_columns);

Thanks,
Amit