Re: Why we allow CHECK constraint contradiction? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Corey Huinker
Subject Re: Why we allow CHECK constraint contradiction?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 1:44 AM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, October 9, 2018, Imai, Yoshikazu <imai.yoshikazu@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
Are there any rows which can satisfy the ct's CHECK constraint? If not, why we
allow creating table when check constraint itself is contradicted?

I'd bet on it being a combination of complexity and insufficient expected benefit.  Time is better spent elsewhere.  Mathmatically proving a contradiction in software is harder than reasoning about it mentally.

I've actually used that as a feature, in postgresql and other databases, where assertions were unavailable, or procedural code was unavailable or against policy.

Consider the following:

CREATE TABLE wanted_values ( x integer );

INSERT INTO wanted_values VALUES (1), (2), (3);

CREATE TABLE found_values ( x integer );

INSERT INTO found_values VALUES (1), (3);

CREATE TABLE missing_values (

    x integer,

    CONSTRAINT contradiction CHECK (false)

);

INSERT INTO missing_values

SELECT x FROM wanted_values

EXCEPT

SELECT x FROM found_values;

gives the error

ERROR:  new row for relation "missing_values" violates check constraint "contradiction"

DETAIL:  Failing row contains (2).

Which can be handy when you need to fail a transaction because of bad data and don't have branching logic available.