Re: Statistics query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Curvey
Subject Re: Statistics query
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:
I'm seeking ideas on the best way to craft the following query. I've stripped everything down to the bare essentials and simplified it below.

Input data has a timestamp (actually an int received from the system in the form of a Unix epoch), a unit identifier and a status:

 event_time | unit_id | status
------------+---------+--------
 1357056011 |      60 |      1
 1357056012 |     178 |      0
 1357056019 |     168 |      0
 1357056021 |       3 |      0
 1357056021 |       4 |      1
 1357056021 |     179 |      0
 1357056022 |       0 |      1
 1357056022 |       1 |      0
 1357056023 |       2 |      0
 1357056024 |       9 |      0
 1357056025 |       5 |      0
 1357056025 |       6 |      0
 1357056026 |       7 |      1

A given unit_id cannot have two events at the same time (enforced by constraints).

Given a point in time I would like to:

1. Identify all distinct unit_ids with an entry that exists in the preceding hour then

2. Count both the total events and sum the status=1 events for the most recent 50 events for each unit_id that fall within a limited period (e.g. don't look at data earlier than midnight). So unit_id 60 might have 50 events in the last 15 minutes while unit_id 4 might have only 12 events after midnight.

The output would look something like:

 unit_id | events | status_1_count
---------+--------+----------------
      1  |     50 |             34
      2  |     27 |             18
      1  |     50 |             34
      1  |      2 |              0

Each sub-portion is easy and while I could use external processing or set-returning functions I was hoping first to find the secret-sauce to glue everything together into a single query.

Cheers,
Steve

something like

select unit_id, count(*), sum(status)
from mytable a
where event_time >= [whatever unix epoch translates to "last midnight"]
and exists
(  select *
   from mytable b
   where b.unit_id = a.unit_id
   and b.epoch >= [unix epoch that translates to "one hour ago"])
group by unit _id;

1) I think figuring out the unix epoch should be reasonable...but I don't know how to do it off the top of my head.
2) I could completely be misunderstanding this.  I'm not sure why the example results would have unit id 1 repeated. (which my suggestion WON'T do)