Death by regexp_replace - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Benedikt Grundmann
Subject Death by regexp_replace
Date
Re: Death by regexp_replace  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Today we discovered that we had a backend whose client had gone away, the automatic query watching process had send both pg_cancel and pg_terminate_backend but nevertheless the process was sitting there consuming resources and had been for over 1 day...

gdb revealed that we were sitting in pg_regexec  (we forced it to return 16 aka invalid regex to return our system into a good state).

Here is the regular expression and the text to run on:

WARNING DO NOT DO THIS ON A PRODUCTION BOX

select regexp_replace('VODI GR,VOD LN,VOD LN,VODN MM,VODPF US,VOD US,VZC LN', '([^,]+)(,*\1)+', '\1');

This was in postgres 9.2

Cheers,

Bene