Re: [HACKERS] Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mithun Cy
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Konstantin Knizhnik
<k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> On 27.10.2016 14:39, Mithun Cy wrote:
> And as far as I understand pg_autoprewarm has all necessary infrastructure
> to do parallel load. We just need to spawn more than one background worker
> and specify
> separate block range for each worker.
>
> Do you think that such functionality (parallel autoprewarm) can be useful
> and be easily added?

I have not put any attention on making the autoprewarm parallel. But
as per the current state of the code, making the subworkers to load
the blocks in parallel should be possible and I think could be easily
added. Probably we need a configurable parameter to restrict max
number of parallel prewarm sub-workers. Since I have not thought much
about this I might not be aware of all of the difficulties around it.

--
Thanks and Regards
Mithun C Y