Re: some random() clarification needed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc Millas
Subject Re: some random() clarification needed
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks!
makes it clearer :-)
its not that obvious to guess the consequences of the "volatile" behaviour.
regards,

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 1:53 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 at 04:01, Marc Millas <marc.millas@mokadb.com> wrote:
> your answer helps me understand my first problem.
> so, I rewrote a simple loop so as to avoid the "volatile" behaviour.

Not sure what you're trying to do with the plpgsql, but you can just
escape the multiple evaluations by putting the volatile function in a
sub-select with no FROM clause.

SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE id = (SELECT ceiling(random()*2582));

Or the more traditional way to get a random row is:

SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE id BETWEEN 0 AND 2585 ORDER BY random() LIMIT 1;

David