Re: syntax question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc Millas
Subject Re: syntax question
Date
Re: syntax question  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
thanks Adrian, exactly what I was missing :-)

about knowing if I should...
We have to create a set of triggers (insert, update, delete) within a huge set of tables. and that list of tables, and structure of them  can be customized, maintained, ...
so we were looking for a standard script to automatize the building of the whole thing, taking list of columns  and constraints (for PK) directly from pg_catalog.
Now it works :-)

but.. why do you ask that question ? is there any king of hidden wolf we didnt see ?

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 9:11 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 6/3/21 12:01 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Jun  3, 2021 at 08:58:03PM +0200, Marc Millas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> within a function, I want to create another function.
>> no pb.
>> but if I write:
>> declare bidule text;
>> begin
>> bidule:='myfunc';
>> create function bidule() ...
>>

>> it does create a function named bidule and not myfunc.
>> so I am obviously missing something too obvious.
>
> You can't create functions inside of functions;  same for procedures.

Sure you can:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.test_fnc()
  RETURNS void
  LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
DECLARE
      bidule text;
BEGIN
bidule:='myfunc';
EXECUTE  'create function ' ||  bidule || '() RETURNS void language
plpgsql AS $fnc$ BEGIN END; $fnc$ ';
END;

$function$

select test_fnc();
  test_fnc

  \df myfunc
                         List of functions
  Schema |  Name  | Result data type | Argument data types | Type
  public | myfunc | void             |                     | func

Whether you should is another question.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com