Re: Adding memory query cache to ODBC driver - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Adding memory query cache to ODBC driver
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
On 12/09/2013 07:42 PM, Pliszka, Jacek wrote:
2. pqc looks like based on  pgpool - I would rather use pgpool - but this on the server and my problem
Is not load of the db - it is the Very Wide Area Network - for this I need the cache as close to client as possible
- closest thing is ODBC.

You could run pgpool in the client.

That was my thinking as well.

Embedding this functionality directly into the driver seems like a lot of work for very little gain. That is, what is the probability of each client performing the exact same query? And, as I assume there are multiple clients connecting to the database, why wouldn't it be more advantageous for multiple clients to share the same cache (e.g. pgpool being used as it is designed, to proxy and, as already implemented, cache the data?)

--
Jonah H. Harris
Blog: http://www.oracle-internals.com/