how to reach D5 in tuplesort.c 's polyphase merge algorithm? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From 土卜皿
Subject how to reach D5 in tuplesort.c 's polyphase merge algorithm?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
hi, all
  for studying polyphase merge algorithm of tuplesort.c, I use ddd and apend a table, which has a schema as follows:

CREATE TABLE Towns (
   id SERIAL UNIQUE NOT NULL,
   code VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL, -- Only unique inside a department
   article TEXT,
   name TEXT NOT NULL, -- Names are not really unique, for instance 'Sainte-Croix'
   department VARCHAR(4) NOT NULL REFERENCES Departments (code),
   UNIQUE (code, department)
   -- UNIQUE (name, department) -- Not perfectly unique but almost
  );

and has 36684 records, and every record is like:
id          code  article  name      department
31800    266    \N    Machault    77

and for getting into external sort, I type the following command:

select * from towns order by name desc;

but I found it need not reach D5 and D6 during sorting,  I thought that the reason is the amount of runs is 3 (too small) before merging, for generate more runs, I shuffled the records
when inputting them and got the same result.

so that I want some help, what schema and records do I as least need for reaching D5 and D6?  any advice will be appreciated!

BEST REGAERDS
Dillon