Re: Update encryption options doc for SCRAM-SHA-256 - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Shay Rojansky
Subject Re: Update encryption options doc for SCRAM-SHA-256
Date
List pgsql-docs
Thanks for your attention to this.

I'm definitely not a cryptography expert, but it seems to me that the actual mechanisms (MD5, SHA-256) are more important than the protocols used to negotiate them (SASL, SCRAM). When some security expert unfamiliar with PostgreSQL goes over itss documentation to determine whether it's secure, I think it's important to make sure that the word SHA-256 is actually there.

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2/2/18 18:42, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/encryption-options.html
>
> Section "18.8. Encryption Options" only mentions MD5 as the password storage
> encryption mechanism, although PostgreSQL 10 introduced the superior SHA256
> - somebody looking at the docs would get a bad idea of PostgreSQL's
> capabilities...

I propose the attached patch.  I have combined the password storage and
password transmission items, because I don't want to go into the details
of how SCRAM works on the wire.

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/