INSERT ... SELECT nonpositional syntax - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Matthew Mellon
Subject INSERT ... SELECT nonpositional syntax
Date
List pgsql-novice
I'm a PostgreSQL novice but a very, very experienced DBA from the SAP SQL Anywhere context (formerly Sybase / iAnywhere). Most of my code has been in the Watcom SQL dialect in the past.

SAP's products have a nice feature not found in the ANSI standards for the INSERT ... SELECT syntax: WITH AUTO NAME. Assume you have a table that looks something like this:

In PostgreSQL, you can:

INSERT INTO TableX
(
  i,
  j,
SELECT a,
  b,
FROM TableY; -- or whatever SELECT expression you want returning possibly many rows

This is nice, but it's so much nicer to have the destination columns adjacent to your source values:

INSERT INTO TableX
WITH AUTO NAME
SELECT a i,
  b j,
  c k
FROM TableY;

I'm not complaining here, but just wondering if there is a way that the syntax can be extended at this level using an extension, or if there is a fighting chance of extending the syntax in the base product?

Thanks,

Matthew Mellon