pg_regress running for ~10 hours using 100% CPU - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject pg_regress running for ~10 hours using 100% CPU
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

Buildfarm machine lyrebird, clang 2.9, amd64, Debian 6, 'HEAD'.  I
have been unsuccessful in finding out what it's doing using gdb:

pg_animal@asterix:~/work/HEAD/pgsql$ gdb --pid=10681
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0.1-debian
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Attaching to process 10681
Reading symbols from
/home/pg_animal/work/HEAD/pgsql.2325/src/test/regress/pg_regress...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2...(no debugging
symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
Die: DW_TAG_restrict_type (abbrev 48, offset 0x4adf) parent at offset: 0x3ebe has children: FALSE attributes:
DW_AT_type(DW_FORM_ref4) constant ref: 0x4115 (adjusted)

Dwarf Error: Cannot find type of die [in module
/home/pg_animal/work/HEAD/pgsql.2325/src/test/regress/pg_regress]

Asking GDB anything generates similar messages.  It seems like this
might be related to a known clang/dwarf/gdb bug (apparently
experienced by many MacOS users and the Chromium project, based on
cursory googling), and possibly not related to whatever difficulty
pg_regress is having.  So I don't actually have anything useful to
report here unfortunately... but thought I should write a note since
I'll suppose when I kill it it'll show up as a failure.  Unfortunately
I don't have time to dig further currently.

Thomas