Migrating from 8.3 to 9.1 - date/time storage types do not match - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Briggs
Subject Migrating from 8.3 to 9.1 - date/time storage types do not match
Date
Re: Migrating from 8.3 to 9.1 - date/time storage types do not match  (Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca>)
List pgsql-general
So we have a large TB database that we need to migrate to 9.1 and I'm
wondering if there's a way to do this process in stages.

Since the date/time storage types changes between 8.3 and 8.4, I
realize we'll have to dump the database and my plan is to create a
backup using pg_start_backup(), run that backup on another server
using postgres 8.3 which I could then dump and import into a 9.1
server.

My question is, is there some way I can take WAL files created since
the beginning of the original backup on the 8.3 server, convert those
into text that I could then apply to the 9.1 server?  The mysql
equivalent to this is mysqlbinlog which you can apply to mysql binary
log files.

Cheers,
Scott