Fwd: [JDBC] Re: 9.4-1207 behaves differently with server side prepared statements compared to 9.2-1102 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Fwd: [JDBC] Re: 9.4-1207 behaves differently with server side prepared statements compared to 9.2-1102
Date
List pgsql-hackers
We have an interesting problem, and the reporter has been kind enough to provide logs for which we can't explain.

I'd be interested to hear any plausible explanations for a prepared plan suddenly going from 2ms to 60ms for the same input values ?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>
Date: 12 January 2016 at 04:03
Subject: [JDBC] Re: 9.4-1207 behaves differently with server side prepared statements compared to 9.2-1102
To: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org

> Is it possible to get server logs ?

I have picked out one of the statements that suffered from this and sanitized the logfile.

   http://sql-workbench.net/pg_jdbc_94.log

The complete statement is at the top of the file and in the messages themselves,
I have replaced each occurrence of the statement with "select ...."

The interesting thing (at least for me) is that the first few executions of the
server side statement have pretty much the same runtime as the ones before the prepare.
And then suddenly the runtime shoots through the rough going up from 1ms to 40ms or even 60ms

Regards
Thomas