Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 12:13, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On 2021-Jul-15, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On 2021-Jul-15, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
> > Well IMHO the status quo is terrible. Perhaps you have a suggestion on how
> > to make it better ?
>
> I thought the suggestion of having pg_upgrade emit a file with a list of
> all extensions needing upgrade in each database was a fairly decent one.

I think this is the minimum we should be doing.

Eh, and
  pg_upgrade [other switches] --upgrade-extensions
sounds good too ...

Ultimately I believe this is the solution, however we still need to teach extensions how to upgrade themselves or emit a message saying they can't, or even ignore if it truly is a NOP.

Dave