Re: Release 1204 released - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Release 1204 released
Date
Re: Release 1204 released
Re: Release 1204 released
List pgsql-jdbc
So I am looking at the API reference and no where does it say getColumns should return information about views.

That being said the fact that getTables returns the type of the table there may be some inference that it should ?

Lance, do you have some insight here ?

On 15 October 2015 at 07:10, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
Yes, this looks like it needs to be reverted....

On 15 October 2015 at 05:10, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
Dave Cramer schrieb am 09.10.2015 um 21:32:
>   * fix: filter DatabaseMetaData.getColumns by tables PR #386 (0c95126)

Why was this done?

From my perspective this is a serious bug, because now getColumns() doesn't return column information for views, materialized views or foreign tables any more.

Which in turn means that the SQL client I am maintaining (SQL Workbench/J) is no longer able to display column information for anything else than tables.

I would assume that this is true for any other JDBC based SQL client. It will also break tools like Liquibase and probably Hibernate as well as they also rely on getColumns() to return information about views (I am sure about Liquibase, not 100% sure about Hibernate though)

Regards
Thomas