Re: Is replacing transactions with CTE a good idea? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Is replacing transactions with CTE a good idea?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 at 09:12, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Sun, Apr  4, 2021 at 08:35:41AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 at 15:39, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Apr  1, 2021 at 11:24:48AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>     > CTE's don't change the isolation level. I'm not sure what you are getting
>     at
>     > here ?
>
>     I think what he/she means here is that all queries in a CTE use a single
>     snapshot, meaning you don't see changes by commits that happen between
>     queries that are part of the same CTE.  If you were running the queries
>     separately in read committed mode, you would see those changes, but you
>     would not see them in repeatable read or serializable transaction mode.
>
> OK, that makes sense, but I think it is wrong minded to think that this
> absolves one of taking isolation into account.
>
> When you make the first read you will still have to deal with all of the
> isolation issues

I have no idea what you are saying above.  Why is a SELECT-only CTE not
the same as a repeatable-read SELECT-only multi-statement transaction?
Are you saying that a SELECT in a CTE doesn't do SELECT FOR UPDATE?

No, but where is this documented ?

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks