Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin
Date
Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 12:59, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
So I started looking through this seriously, and my first question
is why do the docs and code keep saying that "base types" are sent
in binary?  Why not just "data"?  Are there any cases where we
don't use binary format, if the subscription requests it?

If there's not a concrete reason to use that terminology,
I'd rather flush it, because it seems confusing.

Well for some reason I thought there were some types that did not have send and receive functions.

I've changed the docs to say data and the flag from binary_basetypes to just binary

See attached.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachment