Re: IN or ANY for batch queries - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: IN or ANY for batch queries
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Well we aren't going to cache the array so probably not.

On 25 May 2018 at 22:10, Alessandro Gherardi <alessandro.gherardi@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to understand if there are any benefits to using SELECT ... WHERE primary_key = ANY(large array of values) as opposed to SELECT ... WHERE primary_key IN(?,?,...) via JDBC.

I'm aware that to use ANY(array), I first have to call array = connection.createArrayOf(Java array), then preparedStatement.setArray(X, array).

I ran a few tests and the latency seems to be pretty much the same. However, since in my application the number of values in the array can vary, I'm wondering if using ANY has the benefit of causing the driver/DB to cache a smaller number of prepared statement.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,
Alessandro