Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols?
Date
List pgsql-odbc

On 18 June 2014 23:59, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 06/19/2014 11:10 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> FWIW, I've been thinking of proposing that we drop v2 protocol support
>> in libpq and the backend.

> Sounds great, and we could cut a bunch of code out of PgJDBC then.
> That'll make Dave Cramer happy.

Actually, I thought the JDBC crew would be the most likely source of
push-back on such a proposal :-(.  It's been common practice in that
community to tell the JDBC driver to use v2 protocol if you were having
performance problems with prepared statements.  I'm not sure if those
issues have been solved to the point where that workaround is no longer
necessary.

Ya, that is the short version... I'll go through the list and see just what kind of issues we are still solving with v2, if any

If we drop v2 can we start working on v4 or v3+ there are still some issues such as returning the generated keys which I think the server can help us with

As far as dropping code goes, the driver is pretty well written so that dropping v2 should be a matter of just removing the v2 package. We don't really have to muck with that code anymore

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca