Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 at 07:07, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 06:48:34AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Well I think that's on the extension author to fix. There's only so much
> pg_upgrade can do here.
> It seems reasonable that upgrading the extension should upgrade the
> extension to the latest version.

That would only work iff the extension was *not* up to date on the original
instance.  Otherwise I fail to see how any extension script will be called at
all, and therefore the extension was no way to fix anything.

So my understanding is that upgrade is going to run all of the SQL files from whatever version the original instance was up to the current version.

I'm at a loss as to how this would not work ? How do you upgrade your extension otherwise ?

Dave