Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 07:18:56AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:

> So my understanding is that upgrade is going to run all of the SQL files
> from whatever version the original instance was up to the current version.
>
> I'm at a loss as to how this would not work ? How do you upgrade your
> extension otherwise ?

Yes, but as I said twice only if the currently installed version is different
from the default version.  Otherwise ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE is a no-op.

Just to be clear: I'm not arguing against automatically doing an ALTER
EXTENSION UPGRADE for all extensions in all databases during pg_upgrade (I'm
all for it), just that this specific corner case can't be solved by that
approach.