Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 at 14:00, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
On Sat, 2023-03-25 at 19:58 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Well that means that connection poolers have to all be fixed. There
> are more than just pgbouncer.
> Seems rather harsh that a new feature breaks a connection pooler or
> makes the pooler unusable.

Would it actually break connection poolers as they are now? Or would,
for example, pgbouncer just not set the binary_format parameter on the
outbound connection, and therefore just return everything as text until
they add support to configure it?

Well I was presuming that they would just pass the parameter on. If they didn't then binary_format won't work with them. In the case that they do pass it on, then DISCARD_ALL will reset it and future borrows of the connection will have no way to set it again; effectively making this a one time setting.

So while it may not break them it doesn't seem like it is a very useful solution.

Dave