Re: Procedures - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Procedures
Date
List pgsql-docs

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 at 20:18, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Tue, Aug  4, 2020 at 10:33:49AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-createprocedure.html
>
> The information on procedures could helpfully include that the feature is
> new from PostgreSQL 11 and give an explanation of how it differs from
> functions. I found the information I needed here
> https://dba.stackexchange.com/a/262662, but I think it would really benefit
> others if the information was provided in the official documentation.

We don't normally mention what release added a features.  However, I do
see your problem with finding that procedures can issue transaction
control statements.  I see this for procedures:

        https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/xproc.html

but that has no mention of transactions, just a mention of using CALL,
then this pl/pgSQL section about transaction control mentions CALL:

        https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/plpgsql-transactions.html

Is this what you think needs improving?

Neither of those places mention that procedures cannot be called inside a transaction.
So ya I think there there is some room for improvement

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks