Re: Proposal: RETURNING primary_key() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Proposal: RETURNING primary_key()
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 3 April 2016 at 12:18, Igal @ Lucee.org <igal@lucee.org> wrote:
On 4/3/2016 8:21 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

On 9 March 2016 at 20:49, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 3/8/2016 5:12 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

Are there good reasons to use pgjdbc over pgjdbc-ng then?

Maturity, support for older versions (-ng just punts on support for anything except new releases) and older JDBC specs, completeness of support for some extensions. TBH I haven't done a ton with -ng yet.

I'd like to turn this question around. Are there good reasons to use -ng over pgjdbc ?

As to your question, you may be interested to know that pgjdbc is more performant than ng.
That's good to know, but unfortunately pgjdbc is unusable for us until
https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/issues/488 is fixed.

Also, as I mentioned in the ticket, I can't imagine RETURNING * being performant if, for example, I INSERT a large chunk of data like an image data or an uploaded file.

Thanks for the reminder!

So I"m guessing the reason to use ng is to avoid returning * ?

Igal