Re: pg_rewind: ERROR: could not fetch remote file "global/pg_control": ERROR: permission denied - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Zhaoxun Yan
Subject Re: pg_rewind: ERROR: could not fetch remote file "global/pg_control": ERROR: permission denied
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Michael!
Thank you for looking into this. I did check the old standby/new primary for its authorization. I found the commands in .psql_history in postgresql home directory. And then I grant the privileges again on it. But it did not work.

I noticed that documentation mentioned the rewind user CANNOT be a replication user at the same time. I would create a user just for rewind and try again. If that still doesn't work, I believe it is a bug.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 2:50 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 05:27:44PM +0800, Zhaoxun Yan wrote:
> $ /usr/pgsql-16/bin/pg_rewind -D '/pgdata' --source-server='host=172.17.1.2
> port=5432 user=rep dbname=repmgr connect_timeout=5'
> pg_rewind: error: could not fetch remote file "global/pg_control": ERROR:
>  permission denied for function pg_read_binary_fileOriginally the server
> here at 172.17.0.2 was the primary and 172.17.1.2 was the standby
> replication server.  I have created the user 'rep' with full replication
> privilege as described on page:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/app-pgrewind.html
>
> CREATE EXTENSION repmgr;
> GRANT pg_checkpoint TO rep;
> GRANT pg_read_all_stats TO rep;
> GRANT EXECUTE ON function pg_catalog.pg_ls_dir(text, boolean, boolean) TO rep;
> GRANT EXECUTE ON function pg_catalog.pg_stat_file(text, boolean) TO rep;
> GRANT EXECUTE ON function pg_catalog.pg_read_binary_file(text) TO rep;
> GRANT EXECUTE ON function pg_catalog.pg_read_binary_file(text, bigint,
> bigint, boolean

This set of permissions should be enough, so you got the idea from the
documentation the right way.  One guess: are you sure that these GRANT
queries have been run on the same database as the one queried by
pg_rewind when getting the files from an online source for the target
cluster to rewind?
--
Michael