pg_terminate_backend not working - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bhargav kamineni
Subject pg_terminate_backend not working
Date
Re: pg_terminate_backend not working
List pgsql-general
Hi Team ,

We are observing long running process hung in active state on one of our db from last two days with usename 'xyz', We have tried killing the respective pid with pg_terminate_backned(pid), it's returning true but the quires are not actually being terminated. Based on the client address and port number from pg_stat_activity  we found the connection origin and killed that connection initiation process from that host , even after that the connections on db from   'xyz' are not getting terminated.

and these connections are not making network calls a self dblink connection is being established in the query.

as a workaround we have disabled the connections initiation script for xyz user and restarted the database  right after restart we observed the new connections from xyz user to database which is not  expected because as we have  already disables the connections initiation script.

select  pg_postmaster_start_time();
   pg_postmaster_start_time
------------------------------
 2019-09-24 06:44:07.41594+00

select usename,backend_start from pg_stat_activity where now()-xact_start > '3 hours' and usename ='xyz';
     usename     |         backend_start
 xyz | 2019-09-24
06:44:38.879047+00 |
 xyz | 2019-09-24 06:44:38.880501+00 |
 xyz | 2019-09-24 06:44:38.881326+00 |
 xyz | 2019-09-24 06:44:38.877561+00 |
 xyz | 2019-09-24 06:44:38.878336+00 |

what could be the possible reason for these connections and pg_termiante_backend(pid) not working ?

Thanks,
Bhargav K