Re: Two columns with same name in subselect--any way to SELECTwithout *? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Tanzer
Subject Re: Two columns with same name in subselect--any way to SELECTwithout *?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 9:10 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 01/06/2018 08:46 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
Hi.  You can have multiple columns with the same name, and use it as a subselect, like this silly example:

SELECT 'a' AS my_col,'b' AS my_col,'foo' AS other;
SELECT * FROM (SELECT 'a' AS my_col,'b' AS my_col,'foo' AS other) foo;

But is there any way to select either of those columns without taking all the fields with *?

SELECT my_col,other FROM (select 'a' AS my_col,'b' AS my_col,'foo' AS other) foo;
ERROR:  column reference "my_col" is ambiguous

I suspect there isn't, but just wondering if there's some way I'm not aware of.

?:
SELECT bar.my_col, foo.my_col FROM (SELECT 'a' AS my_col) as bar , (select 'b' AS my_col,'foo' AS other) foo;

 my_col | my_col
 a      | b

Though I would think this would just be pushing the point where you get confused what my_col is really pointing to down the road.

Thanks Adrian, but I was really wondering about the case where the two columns are already in a single result set.  I came across this issue accidentally, and it's not causing any problems.  Just trying to understand the possibilities/limitations for future reference.

Cheers,
Ken