[GENERAL] Help: Installing 9.6 breaks local connections to 9.2 on Centos 6.9 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Tanzer
Subject [GENERAL] Help: Installing 9.6 breaks local connections to 9.2 on Centos 6.9
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Help: Installing 9.6 breaks local connections to 9.2 on Centos 6.9
Re: [GENERAL] Help: Installing 9.6 breaks local connections to 9.2on Centos 6.9
List pgsql-general
Hi.  On a Centos 6.9 server (in the cloud with Rackspace), I'm wanting to install PGDG 9.6 alongside the already-running 9.2.  After installing the 9.6 packages (and even before doing an initdb), I am no
longer able to make a local connection to the 9.2 server.  Instead I get the message:

psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

That socket file does not exist on the server. (And in fact, the /var/run/postgresql directory didn't exist before installing 9.6).  When I configure 9.6 to use port 5433 and run it, it does create that socket for 5433.  I tried creating such a socket manually for 5432, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Any help in getting this working and/or pointing out what I'm missing would be great.  I'm also confused conceptually about what is happening here.  What is it that the installation (but not execution) of 9.6 does that's blocking the local 9.2 access?  I'm guessing it's gotta be something in the RPM install scripts.

Thanks!

Ken

bash-4.1$ whoami
postgres
bash-4.1$ psql -p 5432
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
bash-4.1$ psql -p 5432 -h localhost
Password:
bash-4.1$ psql -p 5433
psql (9.6.3)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \q
bash-4.1$ /usr/pgsql-9.2/bin/psql -p 5432
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
bash-4.1$ /usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/psql -p 5432
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

[root@centos-new postgresql]# cat /etc/issue
CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
Kernel \r on an \m

[root@centos-new postgresql]# yum list installed "postgresql*"