Re: pg_config problems on PG9.3/Centos? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Tanzer
Subject Re: pg_config problems on PG9.3/Centos?
Date
Re: pg_config problems on PG9.3/Centos?  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
Re: pg_config problems on PG9.3/Centos?  (Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

Exactly where is root's path finding pg_config?

IIRC, most of the paths shown here are actually computed relative to the
location of the pg_config executable, so I could imagine getting this
kind of result if you'd done something like symlinking pg_config into
/usr/bin.

Oddly, there was a pg_config in /usr/bin that was not a symlink and not owned by any package.  I'm really puzzled as to how it got there, but I removed it, and symlinked the one from /usr/pgsql-9.3/bin.  It puts out better information.

It also sounds like from your comment that symlinking to /usr/bin is frowned upon.  What is the better way to deal with this?

So with the pg_config thing resolved, my make now get stuck on the error below.  I found a BSD bug report with the same message from 9.2, although I was able to successfully compile for 9.2 previously.  I'm wondering if anyone seems something obvious or simple that could be causing this or could be fixed.  I know the table_log packages are kind of ancient, but they do the trick!

table_log.c: In function ‘table_log’:
table_log.c:134: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘RelationGetNamespace’
table_log.c:140: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
table_log.c: In function ‘__table_log’:
table_log.c:301: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
table_log.c:310: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
table_log.c:312: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
table_log.c:346: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
table_log.c:354: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
table_log.c:373: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
table_log.c:381: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
table_log.c: In function ‘table_log_restore_table’:
table_log.c:794: error: ‘timestamptz_out’ undeclared (first use in this function)
table_log.c:794: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
table_log.c:794: error: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [table_log.o] Error 1

I would've guessed that you were invoking a pg_config shipped with the
regular Red Hat postgres packages, except for this:

> CONFIGURE = '--disable-rpath' '--prefix=/usr/pgsql-9.3'
> '--includedir=/usr/pgsql-9.3/include' '--mandir=/
> usr/pgsql-9.3/share/man' '--datadir=/usr/pgsql-9.3/share' '--with-perl'

which seems to prove that the package was built with the correct
options for PGDG's file placement.

                        regards, tom lane

I'm _pretty_ sure I didn't even install the CentOs postgres packages. OTOH, where that /usr/bin/pg_config came from is a complete mystery!

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software