How to get array of unique array values across rows? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Tanzer
Subject How to get array of unique array values across rows?
Date
List pgsql-general
I have a field containing a set of codes in a varchar array, each tied to a person.

 client_id                             | integer                          |
 service_codes                   | character varying(10)[] |

I'm trying to query this info so that I can get the list (presumably in an array) of all the values in this array, across all the records for a client. So that if a person has two records, one with ORANGE and BLUE, and one with BLUE and GREEN, I could end up with a list of ORANGE, BLUE and GREEN.

I had hopes for:

SELECT client_id,array_agg(service_codes) FROM foo GROUP BY client_id;

But was rebuffed with "ERROR:  could not find array type for data type character varying[]"

There's probably an easy answer for this, but it's completely escaping me.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A data system that puts you in control