Two columns with same name in subselect--any way to SELECT without *? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Tanzer
Subject Two columns with same name in subselect--any way to SELECT without *?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi.  You can have multiple columns with the same name, and use it as a subselect, like this silly example:

SELECT 'a' AS my_col,'b' AS my_col,'foo' AS other;
SELECT * FROM (SELECT 'a' AS my_col,'b' AS my_col,'foo' AS other) foo;

But is there any way to select either of those columns without taking all the fields with *?
SELECT my_col,other FROM (select 'a' AS my_col,'b' AS my_col,'foo' AS other) foo;
ERROR:  column reference "my_col" is ambiguous
I suspect there isn't, but just wondering if there's some way I'm not aware of.
I found myself wanting to specify the columns  by position, similar to ORDER or GROUP.  (*.1, foo.1 or something like that), but that's probably wishful thinking!
Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software