Re: PostGIS in a commercial project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: PostGIS in a commercial project
Date
List pgsql-general

I'm not a lawyer, cockroach, or hobbyist license enthusiast. Here's my impression.

First, I'm sure this must come IP a lot. Have you looked for a PostGIS licensing faq? Checked their mailing lists?

The issues with bundling MySQL were mostly around the GPL-licensed client library, something that doesn't apply to Pg's bsd-licensed libpq. You don't, AFAIK, need to link to any PostGIS client side library to use PostGIS, so that shouldn't be an issue.

For the server side stuff you would certainly have to distribute any postgis code changes, plus probably any server code changes since you're bundling them with postgis. Your SQL and data would be no more affected than a program is affected when compiled with the GPL-licensed gcc.

Personally I can't see any reason for concern. You'd have to distribute a GPL notice and/or PostGIS sources with the product to customers, of course, but that's not a biggie.

If you use something like a PostGIS extension to libpq / libpqtypes / etc client side, and that is also GPL, that might be a problem.