Re: Support logical replication of global object commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Support logical replication of global object commands
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 5:01 AM Zheng Li <zhengli10@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Logical replication of DDL commands support is being worked on in [1].
> However, global object commands are quite different from other
> non-global object DDL commands and need to be handled differently. For
> example, global object commands include ROLE statements, DATABASE
> statements, TABLESPACE statements and a subset of GRANT/REVOKE
> statements if the object being modified is a global object. These
> commands are different from other DDL commands in that:
>
> 1. Global object commands can be executed in any database.
> 2. Global objects are not schema qualified.
> 3. Global object commands are not captured by event triggers.
>
> I’ve put together a prototype to support logical replication of global
> object commands in the attached patch. This patch builds on the DDL
> replication patch from ZJ in [2] and must be applied on top of it.
> Here is a list of global object commands that the patch replicate, you
> can find more details in function LogGlobalObjectCommand:
>
> /* ROLE statements */
> CreateRoleStmt
> AlterRoleStmt
> AlterRoleSetStmt
> DropRoleStmt
> ReassignOwnedStmt
> GrantRoleStmt
>
> /* Database statements */
> CreatedbStmt
> AlterDatabaseStmt
> AlterDatabaseRefreshCollStmt
> AlterDatabaseSetStmt
> DropdbStmt
>
> /* TableSpace statements */
> CreateTableSpaceStmt
> DropTableSpaceStmt
> AlterTableSpaceOptionsStmt
>
> /* GrantStmt and RevokeStmt if objtype is a global object determined
> by EventTriggerSupportsObjectType() */
> GrantStmt
> RevokeStmt
>
> The idea with this patch is to support global objects commands
> replication by WAL logging the command using the same function for DDL
> logging - LogLogicalDDLMessage towards the end of
> standard_ProcessUtility. Because global objects are not schema
> qualified, we can skip the deparser invocation and directly log the
> original command string for replay on the subscriber.
>
> A key problem to address is that global objects can become
> inconsistent between the publisher and the subscriber if a command
> modifying the global object gets executed in a database (on the source
> side) that doesn't replicate the global object commands. I think we
> can work on the following two aspects in order to avoid such
> inconsistency:
>
> 1. Introduce a publication option for global object commands
> replication and document that logical replication of global object
> commands is preferred to be enabled on all databases. Otherwise
> inconsistency can happen if a command modifies the global object in a
> database that doesn't replicate global object commands.
>
> For example, we could introduce the following publication option
> [...]

Thank you for working on this item.

I think that there are some (possibly) tricky challenges that haven't
been discussed yet to support replicating global objects.

First, as for publications having global objects (roles, databases,
and tablespaces), but storing them in database specific tables like
pg_publication doesn't make sense, because it should be at some shared
place where all databases can have access to it. Maybe we need to have
a shared catalog like pg_shpublication or pg_publication_role to store
publications related to global objects or the relationship between
such publications and global objects. Second, we might need to change
the logical decoding infrastructure so that it's aware of shared
catalog changes. Currently we need to scan only db-specific catalogs.
Finally, since we process CREATE DATABASE in a different way than
other DDLs (by cloning another database such as template1), simply
replicating the CREATE DATABASE statement would not produce the same
results as the publisher. Also, since event triggers are not fired on
DDLs for global objects, always WAL-logging such DDL statements like
the proposed patch does is not a good idea.

Given that there seems to be some tricky problems and there is a
discussion for cutting the scope to make the initial patch small[1], I
think it's better to do this work after the first version.

Regards,

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1K3VXfTWXbLADcH81J%3D%3D7ussvNdqLFHN68sEokDPueu7w%40mail.gmail.com

--
Masahiko Sawada