Re: I/O timigns don't include time for temp buffers - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: I/O timigns don't include time for temp buffers
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 5:35 PM hubert depesz lubaczewski
<depesz@depesz.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 03:15:27PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > > This shows that the Hash wrote 1100 temp buffers, but I/O timings didn't increase at all.
> > Yes, we don't collect the time spent reading and writing temp files.
>
> And this is the source of my concern.
>
> Not that we have this documented in one way or another, but why exactly
> aren't we taking temp buffers into timing? There are cases where it is
> the temp buffers IO that is using most of the time.

Yes. I agree that there is room for improvement there. It seems to me
that it's an improvement, not a bug. So it would be better to discuss
it on pgsql-hackers.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada