Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 11:46 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 3/27/23 03:32, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 7:26 AM Tomas Vondra
> > <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I merged the earlier "fixup" patches into the relevant parts, and left
> >> two patches with new tweaks (deducing the corrent "WAL" state from the
> >> current state read by copy_sequence), and the interlock discussed here.
> >>

> > Apart from that, how does the publication having sequences work with
> > subscribers who are not able to handle sequence changes, e.g. in a
> > case where PostgreSQL version of publication is newer than the
> > subscriber? As far as I tested the latest patches, the subscriber
> > (v15)  errors out with the error 'invalid logical replication message
> > type "Q"' when receiving a sequence change. I'm not sure it's sensible
> > behavior. I think we should instead either (1) deny starting the
> > replication if the subscriber isn't able to handle sequence changes
> > and the publication includes that, or (2) not send sequence changes to
> > such subscribers.
> >

> I agree the "invalid message" error is not great, but it's not clear to
> me how to do either (1). The trouble is we don't really know if the
> publication contains (or will contain) sequences. I mean, what would
> happen if the replication starts and then someone adds a sequence?
>
> For (2), I think that's not something we should do - silently discarding
> some messages seems error-prone. If the publication includes sequences,
> presumably the user wanted to replicate those. If they want to replicate
> to an older subscriber, create a publication without sequences.
>
> Perhaps the right solution would be to check if the subscriber supports
> replication of sequences in the output plugin, while attempting to write
> the "Q" message. And error-out if the subscriber does not support it.

It might be related to this topic; do we need to bump the protocol
version? The commit 64824323e57d introduced new streaming callbacks
and bumped the protocol version. I think the same seems to be true for
this change as it adds sequence_cb callback.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada