Re: Potential data loss due to race condition during logical replication slot creation - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Potential data loss due to race condition during logical replication slot creation
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 12:54 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 12:16 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The approach (a) has a downside, it will lead to tracking more
> > > transactions (non-catalog) than required without any benefit for the
> > > user. Considering that is true, I wouldn't prefer that approach.
> >
> > Yes, it will lead to tracking non-catalog-change transactions as well.
> > If there are many subtransactions, the overhead could be noticeable.
> > But it happens only once when creating a slot.
> >

> True, but it doesn't seem advisable to add such an overhead even
> during create time without any concrete reason.
>
> > Another variant of (a) is that we skip snapshot restores if the
> > initial_xmin_hirizon is a valid transaction id. The
> > initia_xmin_horizon is always set to a valida transaction id when
> > initializing the decoding context, e.g. during
> > CreateInitDecodingContext(). That way, we don't need to track
> > non-catalog-change transctions. A downside is that this approach
> > assumes that DecodingContextFindStartpoint() is called with the
> > decoding context created by CreateInitDecodingContxt(), which is true
> > in the core codes, but might not be true in third party extensions.
> >

> I think it is better to be explicit in this case rather than relying
> on initia_xmin_horizon. So, we can store in_create/create_in_progress
> flag in the Snapbuild in HEAD and store it in LogicalDecodingContext
> in back branches.

I think we cannot access the flag in LogicalDecodingContext from
snapbuild.c at least in backbranches. I've discussed adding such a
flag in snapbuild.c as a global variable, but I'm slightly hesitant to
add a global variable besides InitialRunningXacts.

>  I think changing SnapBuild means we have to update
> SNAPBUILD_VERSION, right? Is that a good idea to do at this point of
> time or shall we wait new branch to open and change it there? Anyway,
> it would be a few days away and in the meantime, we can review and
> keep the patches ready.

I think we should wait to add such changes that break on-disk
compatibility until a new branch opens. On HEAD, I think we can add a
new flag in SnapBuild and set it during say
DecodingContextFindStartpoint().

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada