Re: Issue with pg_stat_subscription_stats - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Issue with pg_stat_subscription_stats
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 8:51 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:09 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 3:34 AM Melanie Plageman
> > <melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > You are right. My initial patch was incorrect.
> > >
> > > Thinking about it more, the initial behavior is technically the same for
> > > pg_stat_database. It is just that I didn't notice because you end up
> > > creating stats for pg_stat_database so quickly that you usually never
> > > see them before.
> > >
> > > In pg_stat_get_db_stat_reset_time():
> > >
> > >     if ((dbentry = pgstat_fetch_stat_dbentry(dbid)) == NULL)
> > >         result = 0;
> > >     else
> > >         result = dbentry->stat_reset_timestamp;
> > >
> > >     if (result == 0)
> > >         PG_RETURN_NULL();
> > >     else
> > >         PG_RETURN_TIMESTAMPTZ(result);
> > >
> > > and in pgstat_recv_resetcounter():
> > >
> > >     dbentry = pgstat_get_db_entry(msg->m_databaseid, false);
> > >
> > >     if (!dbentry)
> > >         return;
> > >
> > > Thinking about it now, though, maybe an alternative solution would be to
> > > have all columns or all columns except the subid/subname or dbname/dboid
> > > be NULL until the statistics have been created, at which point the
> > > reset_timestamp is populated with the current timestamp.
> >
> > It's true that stats_reset is NULL if the statistics of database are
> > not created yet.
> >

> So, if the behavior is the same as pg_stat_database, do we really want
> to change anything in this regard?

Both pg_stat_database and pg_stat_subscription_stats work similarly in
principle but they work differently in practice since there are more
chances to create the database stats entry such as connections,
disconnections, and autovacuum than the subscription stats entry. I
think that the issue reported by Melanie is valid and perhaps most
users would expect the same behavior as other statistics.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/