Re: Should vacuum process config file reload more often - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Should vacuum process config file reload more often
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 4:47 PM John Naylor <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 12:42 AM Jim Nasby <nasbyj@amazon.com> wrote:
> >
> > Doesn't the dead tuple space grow as needed? Last I looked we don't allocate up to 1GB right off the bat.
>
> Incorrect.
>
> > Of course, if the patch that eliminates the 1GB vacuum limit gets committed the situation will be even worse.
>
> If you're referring to the proposed tid store, I'd be interested in seeing a reproducible test case with a m_w_m over
1GBwhere it makes things worse than the current state of affairs.

And I think that the tidstore makes it easy to react to
maintenance_work_mem changes. We don't need to enlarge it and just
update its memory limit at an appropriate time.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada