Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 2:22 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 8:33 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 5:14 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Sounds good. I'll incorporate this in the next version patch that I'm
> > > planning to submit this week.
> >
> > Sorry, I could not make it this week. I'll submit them early next week.
> >

> No problem.
>
> > While updating the patch I thought we need to have more design
> > discussion on two points of clearing error details after the error is
> > resolved:
> >
> > 1. How to clear apply worker errors. IIUC we've discussed that once
> > the apply worker skipped the transaction we leave the error entry
> > itself but clear its fields except for some fields such as failure
> > counts. But given that the stats messages could be lost, how can we
> > ensure to clear those error details? For table sync workers’ error, we
> > can have autovacuum workers periodically check entires of
> > pg_subscription_rel and clear the error entry if the table sync worker
> > completes table sync (i.g., checking if srsubstate = ‘r’). But there
> > is no such information for the apply workers and subscriptions.
> >

> But won't the corresponding subscription (pg_subscription) have the
> XID as InvalidTransactionid once the xid is skipped or at least a
> different XID then we would have in pg_stat view? Can we use that to
> reset entry via vacuum?

I think the XID is InvalidTransaction until the user specifies it. So
I think we cannot know whether we're before skipping or after skipping
only by the transaction ID. No?

> > In
> > addition to sending the message clearing the error details just after
> > skipping the transaction, I thought that we can have apply workers
> > periodically send the message clearing the error details but it seems
> > not good.
> >

> Yeah, such things should be a last resort.
>
> > 2. Do we really want to leave the table sync worker even after the
> > error is resolved and the table sync completes? Unlike the apply
> > worker error, the number of table sync worker errors could be very
> > large, for example, if a subscriber subscribes to many tables. If we
> > leave those errors in the stats view, it uses more memory space and
> > could affect writing and reading stats file performance. If such left
> > table sync error entries are not helpful in practice I think we can
> > remove them rather than clear some fields. What do you think?
> >

> Sounds reasonable to me. One might think to update the subscription
> error count by including table_sync errors but not sure if that is
> helpful and even if that is helpful, we can extend it later.

Agreed.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada