Re: Logging in LockBufferForCleanup() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Logging in LockBufferForCleanup()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 11:22 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just noticed somewhat new code in LockBufferForCleanup(), added in
>
> commit 39b03690b529935a3c33024ee68f08e2d347cf4f
> Author: Fujii Masao <fujii@postgresql.org>
> Date:   2021-01-13 22:59:17 +0900
>
>     Log long wait time on recovery conflict when it's resolved.
>
> commit 64638ccba3a659d8b8a3a4bc5b47307685a64a8a
> Author: Fujii Masao <fujii@postgresql.org>
> Date:   2020-03-30 17:35:03 +0900
>
>     Report waiting via PS while recovery is waiting for buffer pin in hot standby.
>

> After those commit LockBufferForCleanup() contains code doing memory
> allocations, elogs. That doesn't strike me as a good idea:
>
> Previously the code looked somewhat safe to use in critical section like
> blocks (although whether it'd be good idea to use in one is a different
> question), but not after. Even if not used in a critical section, adding new
> failure conditions to low-level code that's holding LWLocks etc. doesn't seem
> like a good idea.
>
> Secondly, the way it's done seems like a significant laying violation. Before
> the HS related code in LockBufferForCleanup() was encapsulated in a few calls
> to routines dedicated to dealing with that. Now it's all over
> LockBufferForCleanup().
>
> It also just increases the overhead of LockBuffer(). Adding palloc(), copying
> of process title, GetCurrentTimestamp() to a low level routine like this isn't
> free - even if it's mostly in the contended paths.

While I understand that these are theoretically valid concerns, it’s
unclear to me how much the current code leads to bad effects in
practice. There are other low-level codes/paths that call palloc()
while holding LWLocks, and I’m not sure that the overheads result in
visible negative performance impact particularly because the calling
to LockBufferForCleanup() is likely to accompany wait in the first
place. BTW I think calling to LockBufferForCleanup() in a critical
section is a bad idea for sure since it becomes uninterruptible.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/