Re: Replication slot stats misgivings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Replication slot stats misgivings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 8:08 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 4:34 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I think we can push 0001. What do you think?
> >
> > +1

> > > I am not sure about this because I think we might want to add some
> > > info of stream/spill bytes in total_bytes description (something like
> > > stream/spill bytes are not in addition to total_bytes).

BTW doesn't it confuse users that stream/spill bytes are not in
addition to total_bytes? User will need to do "total_bytes +
spill/stream_bytes" to know the actual total amount of data sent to
the decoding output plugin, is that right? The doc says "Amount of
decoded transactions data sent to the decoding output plugin while
decoding the changes from WAL for this slot" but I think we also send
decoded data that had been spilled to the decoding output plugin.

> > Okay.
> >
> > > So probably
> > > keeping these new counters at the end makes more sense to me.
> >
> > But I think all of those counters are new for users since
> > pg_stat_replication_slots view will be introduced to PG14, no?
> >

> Right, I was referring to total_txns and total_bytes attributes. I
> think keeping them at end after spill and stream counters should be
> okay.

Okay, understood.

Regards,

--