Re: Design of pg_stat_subscription_workers vs pgstats - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Design of pg_stat_subscription_workers vs pgstats
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 9:05 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 2:24 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 10. src/backend/replication/logical/worker.c
> >
> > (from my previous [Peter-v1] #9)

> > > It's just because we used to use MyLogicalRepWorker->subid, is there
> > > any particular reason why we should use MySubscription->oid here?
> >
> > I felt MySubscription->oid is a more natural and more direct way of
> > expressing the same thing.
> >
> > Consider:  "the oid of the current subscription" versus "the oid of
> > the subscription of the current worker". IMO the first one is simpler.
> > YMMV.
> >

> I think we can use either but maybe MySubscription->oid would be
> slightly better here as the same is used in nearby code as well.

Okay, will change.

> > 13. src/test/subscription/t/026_worker_stats.pl - missing test?
> >
> > Shouldn't there also be some test to reset the counters to confirm
> > that they really do get reset to zero?
> >
> > ~~~
> >

> I think we avoid writing tests for stats for each and every case as it
> is not reliable in nature (the message can be lost). If we can find a
> reliable way then it is okay.

Yeah, the messages can even be out-of-order. Particularly, in this
test, the apply worker and table sync worker keep reporting the
messages, it's quite possible that the test becomes unstable. I
remember we removed unstable tests of resetting statistics before
(e.g., see fc6950913).

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada