Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Date
RE: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side  ("houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com" <houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com>)
RE: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side  ("osumi.takamichi@fujitsu.com" <osumi.takamichi@fujitsu.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 12:21 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 7:45 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 12:52 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:18 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Setting up logical rep error context in a generic function looks a bit
> > > odd to me. Do we really need to set up error context here? I
> > > understand we can't do this in caller but anyway I think we are not
> > > sending this to logical replication view as well, so not sure we need
> > > to do it here.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm not convinced of this part yet. I wanted to show relid also
> > in truncate cases but I came up with only this idea.
> >
> > If an error happens during truncating the table (in
> > ExecuteTruncateGuts()), relid set by
> > set_logicalrep_error_context_rel() is actually sent to the view. If we
> > don’t have it, the view always shows relid as NULL in truncate cases.
> > On the other hand, it doesn’t cover all cases. For example, it doesn’t
> > cover an error that the target table doesn’t exist on the subscriber,
> > which happens when opening the target table. Anyway, in most cases,
> > even if relid is NULL, the error message in the view helps users to
> > know which relation the error happened on. What do you think?
> >

> Yeah, I also think at this stage error message is sufficient in such cases.

I've attached new patches that incorporate all comments I got so far.
Please review them.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada