Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 1, 2024 at 4:29 PM John Naylor <johncnaylorls@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 8:36 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 6:12 PM John Naylor <johncnaylorls@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > - RT_KEY_GET_SHIFT is not covered for key=0:
> > >
> > > https://anarazel.de/postgres/cov/16-vs-HEAD-2024-04-14/src/include/lib/radixtree.h.gcov.html#L803
> > >
> > > That should be fairly simple to add to the tests.
> >
> > There are two paths to call RT_KEY_GET_SHIFT():
> >
> > 1. RT_SET() -> RT_KEY_GET_SHIFT()
> > 2. RT_SET() -> RT_EXTEND_UP() -> RT_KEY_GET_SHIFT()
> >
> > In both cases, it's called when key > tree->ctl->max_val. Since the
> > minimum value of max_val is 255, RT_KEY_GET_SHIFT() is never called
> > when key=0.
>
> Ah, right, so it is dead code. Nothing to worry about, but it does
> point the way to some simplifications, which I've put together in the
> attached.

Thank you for the patch. It looks good to me.

+       /* compute the smallest shift that will allowing storing the key */
+       start_shift = pg_leftmost_one_pos64(key) / RT_SPAN * RT_SPAN;

The comment is moved from RT_KEY_GET_SHIFT() but I think s/will
allowing storing/will allow storing/.

> > > - RT_DELETE: "if (key > tree->ctl->max_val)" is not covered:
> > >
> > > https://anarazel.de/postgres/cov/16-vs-HEAD-2024-04-14/src/include/lib/radixtree.h.gcov.html#L2644
> > >
> > > That should be easy to add.
> >
> > Agreed. The patch is attached.
>
> LGTM
>
> > > - TidStoreCreate* has some memory clamps that are not covered:
> > >
> > > https://anarazel.de/postgres/cov/16-vs-HEAD-2024-04-14/src/backend/access/common/tidstore.c.gcov.html#L179
> > > https://anarazel.de/postgres/cov/16-vs-HEAD-2024-04-14/src/backend/access/common/tidstore.c.gcov.html#L234
> > >
> > > Maybe we could experiment with using 1MB for shared, and something
> > > smaller for local.
> >
> > I've confirmed that the local and shared tidstore with small max sizes
> > such as 4kB and 1MB worked. Currently the max size is hard-coded in
> > test_tidstore.c but if we use work_mem as the max size, we can pass
> > different max sizes for local and shared in the test script.
>
> Seems okay, do you want to try that and see how it looks?

I've attached a simple patch for this. In test_tidstore.sql, we used
to create two local tidstore and one shared tidstore. I thought of
specifying small work_mem values for these three cases but it would
remove the normal test cases. So I created separate tidstore for this
test. Also, the new test is just to check if tidstore can be created
with such a small size, but it might be a good idea to add some TIDs
to check if it really works fine.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada