Re: Logical Replication of sequences - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Logical Replication of sequences
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 9:30 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 12:51 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 04.06.24 12:57, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > > 2. Provide a command say Alter Subscription ...  Replicate Sequences
> > > (or something like that) which users can perform before shutdown of
> > > the publisher node during upgrade. This will allow copying all the
> > > sequences from the publisher node to the subscriber node directly.
> > > Similar to previous approach, this could also be inconvenient for
> > > users.
> >
> > I would start with this.  In any case, you're going to need to write
> > code to collect all the sequence values, send them over some protocol,
> > apply them on the subscriber.  The easiest way to start is to trigger
> > that manually.  Then later you can add other ways to trigger it, either
> > by timer or around shutdown, or whatever other ideas there might be.
> >

> Agreed.

+1

> To achieve this, we can allow sequences to be copied during
> the initial CREATE SUBSCRIPTION command similar to what we do for
> tables. And then later by new/existing command, we re-copy the already
> existing sequences on the subscriber.
>
> The options for the new command could be:
> Alter Subscription ... Refresh Sequences
> Alter Subscription ... Replicate Sequences
>
> In the second option, we need to introduce a new keyword Replicate.
> Can you think of any better option?

Another idea is doing that using options. For example,

For initial sequences synchronization:

CREATE SUBSCRIPTION ... WITH (copy_sequence = true);

For re-copy (or update) sequences:

ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION WITH (copy_sequence = true);

> In addition to the above, the command Alter Subscription .. Refresh
> Publication will fetch any missing sequences similar to what it does
> for tables.

On the subscriber side, do we need to track which sequences are
created via CREATE/ALTER SUBSCRIPTION?

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada