Re: autovac issue with large number of tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: autovac issue with large number of tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 7:50 PM Kasahara Tatsuhito
<kasahara.tatsuhito@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>  tables:5000
>   autovacuum_max_workers 1:   (HEAD) 77 sec VS (with patch)  78 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 2:   (HEAD) 61 sec VS (with patch)  43 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 3:   (HEAD) 38 sec VS (with patch)  38 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 5:   (HEAD) 45 sec VS (with patch)  37 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 10:  (HEAD) 43 sec VS (with patch)  35 sec
>
>  tables:10000
>   autovacuum_max_workers 1:   (HEAD) 152 sec VS (with patch)  153 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 2:   (HEAD) 119 sec VS (with patch)   98 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 3:   (HEAD)  87 sec VS (with patch)   78 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 5:   (HEAD) 100 sec VS (with patch)   66 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 10:  (HEAD)  97 sec VS (with patch)   56 sec
>
>  tables:20000
>   autovacuum_max_workers 1:   (HEAD) 338 sec VS (with patch)  339 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 2:   (HEAD) 231 sec VS (with patch)  229 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 3:   (HEAD) 220 sec VS (with patch)  191 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 5:   (HEAD) 234 sec VS (with patch)  147 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 10:  (HEAD) 320 sec VS (with patch)  113 sec
>
> [2.Anti wrap round VACUUM case]
>  tables:1000
>   autovacuum_max_workers 1:   (HEAD) 19 sec VS (with patch) 18 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 2:   (HEAD) 14 sec VS (with patch) 15 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 3:   (HEAD) 14 sec VS (with patch) 14 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 5:   (HEAD) 14 sec VS (with patch) 16 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 10:  (HEAD) 16 sec VS (with patch) 14 sec
>
>  tables:5000
>   autovacuum_max_workers 1:   (HEAD) 69 sec VS (with patch) 69 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 2:   (HEAD) 66 sec VS (with patch) 47 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 3:   (HEAD) 59 sec VS (with patch) 37 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 5:   (HEAD) 39 sec VS (with patch) 28 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 10:  (HEAD) 39 sec VS (with patch) 29 sec
>
>  tables:10000
>   autovacuum_max_workers 1:   (HEAD) 139 sec VS (with patch) 138 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 2:   (HEAD) 130 sec VS (with patch)  86 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 3:   (HEAD) 120 sec VS (with patch)  68 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 5:   (HEAD)  96 sec VS (with patch)  41 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 10:  (HEAD)  90 sec VS (with patch)  39 sec
>
>  tables:20000
>   autovacuum_max_workers 1:   (HEAD) 313 sec VS (with patch) 331 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 2:   (HEAD) 209 sec VS (with patch) 201 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 3:   (HEAD) 227 sec VS (with patch) 141 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 5:   (HEAD) 236 sec VS (with patch)  88 sec
>   autovacuum_max_workers 10:  (HEAD) 309 sec VS (with patch)  74 sec
>
> The cases without patch, the scalability of the worker has decreased
> as the number of tables has increased.
> In fact, the more workers there are, the longer it takes to complete
> VACUUM to all tables.
> The cases with patch, it shows good scalability with respect to the

It seems a good performance improvement even without the patch of
shared memory based stats collector.

> Note that perf top results showed that hash_search_with_hash_value,
> hash_seq_search and
> pgstat_read_statsfiles are dominant during VACUUM in all patterns,
> with or without the patch.
>
> Therefore, there is still a need to find ways to optimize the reading
> of large amounts of stats.
> However, this patch is effective in its own right, and since there are
> only a few parts to modify,
> I think it should be able to be applied to current (preferably
> pre-v13) PostgreSQL.

+1

+
+       /* We might be better to refresh stats */
+       use_existing_stats = false;
    }
+   else
+   {

-   heap_freetuple(classTup);
+       heap_freetuple(classTup);
+       /* The relid has already vacuumed, so we might be better to
use exiting stats */
+       use_existing_stats = true;
+   }

With that patch, the autovacuum process refreshes the stats in the
next check if it finds out that the table still needs to be vacuumed.
But I guess it's not necessarily true because the next table might be
vacuumed already. So I think we might want to always use the existing
for the first check. What do you think?

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada